The Serapeum in Egypt located near the pyramid of Djoser in Sakkara is an enigmatic sort of underground bunker, first entered by Auguste Mariette in 1851. It is hundreds of meters long with 24 large side-chambers. These side chambers contain enormous granite sarcophagi. They were cut from a single piece of rock and weigh between 60 and 80 tons, and about 20 tons for the lid. It is believed that these sarcophagi were intended as final resting places for “sacred bulls”, but there is no evidence for it.
Most of these sarcophagi were empty. A few contained a smelly mass of smashed bone fragments wrapped in bitumen.
Apart from the mystery of whether these giant granite boxes served as last resting places for sacred bulls or not, a greater mystery is how people ever fabricated these enormous structure and statues.
They are so large and so smoothly finished that even today there is hardly any equipment anywhere in the world to cut such huge blocks out of a mountain, hollow them out with sharp interior corners and polish the inner and outer sides to astonishing evenness. The lid, also extremely even, is perfectly square with the inside walls of the sarcophagus. To be square, these inside walls must be perfectly parallel at a distance of 1.5 m and 4.5 m. What’s more, the topside of the box is a perfect plane that is square to the sides.
Statue of the Apis bull from a chapel of the Serapeum of Saqqara – Musée du Louvre
This precision, in combination with the gigantic proportions, is beyond comprehension. The equipment isn’t available yet and it would be a monumental effort to build them – it makes no sense! Extreme high-tech precision stone cutting, drilling and polishing technology was applied here. Who did this, how and why?